Sunday, November 23, 2008

If it's not one thing, then it is ten others....literally!


Sorry for the delay in posting. Yes, I am finally home-but things have continued to be CRAZY!!! I mean really crazy!!!!

Despite being my grandpa's funeral, we really enjoyed seeing everyone in Indiana. We even had time to go visit the other great grandparent's, John's parents, and my dad and his girlfriend. I spent a lot of time with my my mom and even I got to meet my new niece, Madyson (Maddy). Adalynn thought she was adorable! We also got to see lots of family that I haven't seen in years including meeting a cousin for the first time ever (sad, considering he is in highschool) and seeing another that I haven't seen since she was a toddler (she is a freshman in college now). I really hate that it takes funerals to get people together, but isn't that always the case. Hopefully we will get ourselves in gear and plan a family reunion!

The KNIGHT family

Addie...meet Maddy.

meeting Maddy for the first time. Isn't she a doll?

I really enjoyed my week in Georgia and seeing Missy. Many of you may already know, but things are really looking up. I think she more or less told the Hospice people to leave her house, she was NOT dying. Things so far are going much better. She is getting chemo and her blood work is looking a lot better than before. The DIC seems to be resolving itself. You can check her page for the most up to date information. For those of you who don't know, her son Ryan also has cancer and I know them because Ryan was in my class a few years ago. His mom, Missy was the speech pathologist at the school I used to teach at. We just clicked, and have stayed close since then. She is such an inspiration and one of the strongest women I know...definitely a hero!

I also was able to see several of my old friends and spent some time back at Bethlehem. Boy, do I miss you all. My students from last year were almost beating down the doors to see me. It was quite amusing. I don't know how many times I heard "Mrs. Frye, is that really you?" The weirdest part of the week though, was having only one kid. There were times that I wasn't sure what to do. Adalynn did great, but really was confused about what was going on. I think she really just wanted to be home. We had spent the whole previous week in Indiana for my grandpa's funeral and then left for Georgia the day we returned. She was very good the entire time, but there were times you could tell she just wanted to be home.

While I was in Georgia, I found out that my other grandpa was hospitalized. He didn't look the best when we had visited him the week before, and I knew that it was bad, but it still surprised me. I guess when your blood sugar is over 500, a hospital stay is definitely warranted. He finally made it back home after over a week in the hospital. I just pray he modifies his diet, stays up on all his medication and that he continues to be able to breathe (he has COPD and is on oxygen 24 hours a day to top it off).

Also, while I was in GA, Broderick got his first report card, had his first parent teacher conference, and even had a doctor's appointment. I had to make sure John got the FULL experience :)!!! His report card was FANTASTIC. He is excelling is all academic areas. The only concern the teacher mentioned at his conference was his eagerness to answer EVERY question. Often, forgetting to raise his hand or even let her finish the question. Were working on that! His well check went okay. He was very devastated to learn he had to get another shot, especially since we thought he was done for quite sometime. He weighed 68 pounds and was 54 inches tall. Still putting him the 94%/97% for both weight and height. The doctor did find a heart murmur that has never been noticed before, so Broderick is scheduled to an EKG and an EEG next weekend.

On Sunday (11-16), John met me (and our friends, the Tadda's) in Virginia. Because I messed up my flight, they had to drive me there so I could get home. THANK YOU TADDA FAMILY! We enjoyed an overnight stay at a hotel (with a pool) and the kids loved seeing each other again (first time in 4 months). Everyone had a blast and we were all sad to say good-bye on Sunday morning, but we each had to return home and I was hoping, back to normal. Yeah, right-what in the world was I thinking.

Monday was fairly normal. I spent a lot of time cleaning, doing laundry and just trying to get things back to normal. Camden wasn't feeling well and was running a slight fever and Adalynn was also starting to feel yucky. At the time, I just thought that the crazy weeks had gotten the best of them. John was very excited to have me back at home and I definitely enjoyed sleeping in my own bed! Tuesday was a fairly normal day as well. We went to story time at the library (which ended up not happening) and spent the afternoon around the house.

Wednesday is when it started getting crazy again. John woke up to find that the furnace had quit sometime in the middle of the night. By the time I woke up it was a mere 59 degrees inside our house. I called the heating people, but of course it would be between 2-5 before they could come. I had to cancel Adalynn's dentist appointment (for 2:15) and reschedule it for a 3rd time. She was starting to feel really yucky that day, so I guess it was a good thing. She had a constant runny nose (which was made worse by the freezing cold house) and was very fussy. Fussier than she had been in a long time. The heating people finally made it that afternoon and of course had the furnace running again by just flipping the switch-go figure!

On Thursday, I had a scheduled doctor's appointment. John was planning on being home to keep the kids, but ended up having a teleconference with NASA concerning a grant he has applied for. You really can't reschedule with NASA, so I just took the kids with me. He was able to make it to the doctor's office just as they were taking me back to get weighed, so it ended up being okay. The appointment was concerning my CT from about a year ago. Click here to see original post It was titled "I'm Normal", well I guess I am not normal. When reviewing my own records I saw that my CT scan revealed a few spots on my lungs. Although, my doctor in GA didn't say anything to me about this, when I read through my records (which I got when I left GA) I noticed the report and the radiologist's findings. My new doctor in PA is ordering more blood work, another CT, and an MRI of my brain. I'll let you know what happens.

To be sure the craziness continued, on Friday morning I got a message from my neighbor (who kept Camden while I was gone) that she and 2 of her children have pertussis AKA Whooping Cough. ACK!!!! I immediately call our pediatrician who puts all three of the kids on a precautionary antibiotic. Of course, both Adalynn and Camden were showing beginning signs of it (but it is really hard to tell the difference between the beginning of whooping cough and the common cold/respiratory infection). I guess only time will tell. I can't imagine the pain of what she is going through, especially since she has 4 kids under the age of 4. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.

The weekend has gone fairly normal. I did go get all my blood work done on Saturday morning and then we all went to John's office and to Sam's Club. Today we have finally caught up on all the laundry and have just lounged around the house. I pray that next week gives us all the much needed break. We are looking forward to spending Thanksgiving at our own house this year, not traveling, and just taking it easy. I REALLY hope that my mom comes and spends it with us.

Thanks again for all your prayers. I am so glad to be home! We still ask for continued prayers for Missy and Ryan, for our neighbors, and for us. Thanks for checking in on us. I will try to get caught up on all the blogging I missed soon. I've missed you all!


  1. My goodness girlfriend! You need a day of rest and relaxation and no craziness!

    Please keep us informed on your results, I'll be praying.

    Whooping Cough?!?!?! YIKES! Hope the antibiotics do the trick and this doesn't turn out to be a sick season for you.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

  2. The soup was delicious!! THANK YOU! I really hope you all just have colds! Give us some time to get better and then let me know what I can be doing to help you through all this. Happy Thanksgiving! :)

  3. Sorry life has been so crazy lately. Glad to hear you are finally home, I bet the boys are glad also! Adalynn looks like she's grown so much in those pictures.

  4. Definately praying for you guys for all of your crazy situations going on right now. I hope things settle down SOON and that everyone is okay. Sending lots of hugs and prayers!

  5. I'm glad to see you back on here and sorry to hear about all you have had to go through lately. I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving with your family :)

  6. You are one busy lady, Shannon! Hope the neighbor's kids are on the mend and that your kids don't get sick!