Her First Face...OUR PERFECT BEAUTY

Friday, July 25, 2008

Brief Hospital Stay...and I am OFFICIALLY a real mom :)

Adalynn had a brief stay in the hospital today after she began running an unexplained high fever. She woke up in the middle of the night extremely fussy and with a fairly high temperature. We gave her Motrin and she went back to sleep. When she woke up this morning she was still fussy and feverish, so I called the pediatrician and got her an appointment. I was really hoping that it was just an ear infection, but he couldn't find anything. Because of her history with urinary tract infections, he sent us to the hospital for a urine test. The put us in the Pediatric Outpatient Suites at St. Marys in Athens (which have just been re-done and are gorgeous). Of course the only way to do a urine test on a baby is by putting a catheter in. When that came back clear, he sent out for a complete blood panel. That also came back fine. So after spending the morning at the pediatricians office and the afternoon at the hospital, by early evening she was acting tons better.

So, to make a long story short...we are home with a semi-sick baby and no known explanation. We are celebrating Camden's birthday tomorrow, so wish us luck that all goes well and whatever is bothering Adalynn is short-lived.

On another note, the second part of the title relates to my new status as a "real" mom. After being teased for most of the school year by one of the younger male teachers about being "30 with 3 kids"---like it was a crazy thing, I am now "30 with 3 kids AND a mini-van". Oh my!!!! John and I traded the Trailblazer in for a Nissan Quest. We love it! The boys are able to walk straight to their seats in the back row without climbing over seats or folding anything down. It is awesome. So it is official, I am now a "REAL" mom and despite promising myself 10 years ago that I would NEVER drive a mini-van, I can honestly say that I love it!

5 comments:

  1. I just finished reading about Ian's visit to the ER, only to find out Adalynn went to the hospital too! You guys are making me feel really lucky right now that Abby is just teething . . . again, ugh:( I hope your sweet baby girl feels better soon! And congrats on the van! We bought one last summer, and I must say, I love it! I too said "never" but it just happens I guess, and I was only 25 at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Adalynn is feeling better soon. Poor thing has been through enough! I loved your mini-van story. I also drive one with just 2 kids and LOVE it. I don't think I'll ever drive anything else. I also told myself growing up that I wouldn't drive one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you know, over the years, both my girls have had 'unexplained' fevers. And my Pediatrician just refers to them as 'fever viruses'. They have a fever, but act normal and are playing, etc. Could be what Miss Adalynn had??

    Congrats on joining the official "minivan driving Mommy club'. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment on my blog! I just skimmed through the last year and a half of your blogs (mostly looking at the pictures!!) and can't believe how beautiful your little Adalynn has become. Her and Aidan really do look alike with their left-side cleft lips. I did read about her surgeries... glad to know that at least the first lip surgery isn't that bad. If I can get through that one, then I can prepare myself for the next.

    What I read on your blog that amazed me the most was how much you were able to get from pumping! On my best day (when I was taking the Reglan), I got maybe 4 ounces or less. I hope to nurse my second child someday... it's something I definitely missed.

    I HATE change, so I can sympathize with your big move... especially with 3 kids! But now that you have that mini-van, you can move in style! haha

    I was just thinking the other day about which is worse... finding out about the cleft lip early, but then wondering if they also have a palate, or just being surprised all at once? Chad and I have talked about getting a 3D ultrasound next time so we can be prepared.

    Anyway, I added you to my blog and am excited to keep up-to-date with your ABC kiddos! You have such a cute family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope she is better. It is amazing how they can feel so bad so fast and turn around just as fast.

    ReplyDelete