Saturday, August 25, 2007

What A Week!!!!

I am not sure if we could have had anything else added to our week. It was so full with planned and unplanned things.

I spent a lot of time at school this week helping prepare my long-term sub for my leave. I am scheduled to be off work until November11 (Adalynn will be 5 months old). The lady covering my leave is a retired teacher and spent 19 years in 3rd grade at another school in our county. I feel blessed knowing that my classroom is in such good hands. I just need to relax and not worry about it. It is hard not to be in control of something I feel is mine.

On Tuesday, the fire department made a visit to our house. The smoke alarm upstairs kept going off. I checked for smoke and could not find anything, but called anyways. It was soooo hot upstairs and the boys were starting to get worried. I think it must have been a slow day in Oconee County though. Four volunteer fire fighters came out in their personal vehicles and then four fire trucks came with sirens on! I even told the 911 dispatcher that I couldn't see any flames or any smoke. At one point Camden said "mommy, my heart...mommy it is on the outside" because his heart was beating so hard. They searched that attic and all the closets upstairs, but found nothing. Well, almost nothing, there was a dead squirrel in the attic.

On Wednesday, Camden started preschool at Mars Hill Preschool Academy, which just opened in our church. He was very excited about taking his lunch bag to school and carrying his Diego backpack. We all loaded up in the car to take him to school. When we arrived, he wanted us to just drop him off at the door. We decided to walk him, much to his dismay. He grabbed hold of his teacher's hand and walked away. We had to remind him to tell us bye! He is such a big boy.

Adalynn also had her 2 month check-up on Wednesday (a couple of weeks late due to her stint in the hospital). She looks great. She is in the 50th percentile for both height and weight. She weighs 10 lbs. 5 oz. and is 23 1/2 inches long. She did get 3 shots and an oral vaccine for Rotavirus and was not happy about it, but quickly got over it.
On Wednesday evening, when we were getting ready to go to church for dinner, the Trailblazer wouldn't start. All it did was click. Fortunately our friends Allison and Michael were here and we piled into their cars (they had two here). We went to church, ate, and then John messed with the truck when we got back. Thank goodness it was just the battery.
Thursday was open house at Bethlehem and I got to meet all of my families. I think I am going to have a really good class this year. They all seem really sweet and understanding of me being off. I can't believe I am not going back. I think that hardest part of it, is that Broderick is going to be there. He met his teacher (definitely not for the first time) on Thursday. On Thursday evening, we had a pretty yucky thunderstorm and lightening hit close to the house, knocking out the power. The temperature rose fairly quickly in our house and after the power company told us it was a wide spread outage, and trucks weren't even out yet, we decided to go over to the Tadda's and crash on their floor. Well, at 11:00 p.m. the boys were still awake. The next day was Broderick's first day of kindergarten. John decided to attempt to call home knowing that if the answering machine picked up, power had been restored. Thank goodness, it had. Camden fell asleep in the car on the way home, and Broderick shortly after we got home. Needless to say no one got a good nights sleep.
On Friday, Broderick started kindergarten. He also walked away without saying bye. I am glad my boys are independent and self-sufficient, but they still need to tell their momma bye. He said he was a little shy and nervous at first, but very excited. He loved lunch, art, recess, and rest time. I think he is going to really enjoy it.

Our week was rounded out today with a photographer coming over to our house to take pictures. It seems like she did a really good job. The boys seemed to enjoy her, and even though Adalynn fell asleep mid-shoot, I still think she got some good shots.
Next week should semi-return to normal. I think the only big excitement this week will be Adalynn's voiding cystourethrogram. During the voiding cystourethrogram they will fill Adalynn's bladder with dye and x-ray her as it goes through her urinary tract. They are looking to make sure that the dye doesn't travel back up (renal reflux). We'll keep you posted on her results. Hopefully that will be our only excitement, but with 3 kids, a dog, and John trying to get research done, that is highly unlikely.


  1. Your life makes me tired! =) I'm glad you had a good week, even if it was crazy! I'm so used to seeing you at school already, and it's going to be really weird for you to be gone. I'll just have to make sure to visit after school! =) Happy Sunday tomorrow!!!


  2. Busy Busy!! It will get worse as they grow and get active in school events.