Sunday, April 5, 2009

Las Vegas Recap

Wow! We have been back a week already and I am just now getting a free moment to post. It has been a busy week!!!!

We got back late Saturday night after a very long day of flying and layovers but boy did we have fun. John had an AAG conference and had to go to several presentations. He even had to present, but I enjoyed the uninterrupted homework time while we was gone. Statistics is really kicking my butt! We really didn't gamble, unless you count losing $20 in slots, but we spent some time in the casino-just to say we did. We had an amazing hotel room at the MGM Signature! It is attached to the MGM Grand which has 5,044 rooms in four 30-story towers. The Signature only has about 1700 rooms (576 in each of its 3 towers). We were in a non-gaming and non-smoking hotel which we loved!

Just being in Vegas was an experience in and of itself. It was weird being alone with my husband...walking at the pace we wanted to without carrying or pushing a kid in a stroller....eating what and when we wanted to....sleeping ALL night long....It was terrific and I really think we really needed it! We didn't have a lot of time since it was a short trip, but we did make it to a Cirque show, ate at Emeril's, went to the 4-story M&M's store, and watched the fountain outside of the Bellagio. Before we knew it, it was time to come home.

the lion outside of the MGM. To give you an idea of how massive this lion is--100,000-pounds, 45-feet-tall and perched atop a 25-foot pedestal---everything is Vegas is HUGE!

our "penthouse junior suite" at the MGM Signature...complete with a TV in the bathroom!

the view from our balcony during the day

and the view at night. Amazing, huh?

staying at the MGM had its perks...including being able to see lions (and they weren't sleeping)

the fountain outside of the Bellagio Hotel

outside the Bellagio waiting for the fountain show to begin

4-story M&M's store

the wall of M&M's was impressive-and here you are only seeing about half!

me taking a break...we had to stop at CVS to get blister bandages, and even then I ended up still buying new shoes. Who knew that we would be walking as much as we did? When we calculated it, it was almost 6/10 of a mile just to get from our room to the outside (on the strip side). Once we added everything together, we logged almost 25 miles over the course of 2 days.

Paris Las Vegas

the strip at night from the walkway between the MGM and New York, New York

us before dinner at Emeril's...notice John politely covering up my broken finger :)

another of just us....both of these were taken in our hotel room with the camera on automatic.

My mom had fun with the kids while we were gone and didn't spoil them too badly! Broderick ended up getting sick and she had to take him to the doctor (thank goodness for the permission to seek medical attention I left her). He had another ear infection-I think that is #3 or 4 over the past few months. Will he ever grow out of it? Both he and Adalynn have ENT appointments this week. I am anxious to see what they decide to do.

excited for mommy and daddy to be home

the best in our attempt to get a picture of the three kids with Mamaw. Camden bumped his head right before this and Adalynn did not want to get her picture taken. Oh well, at least I got individual's with her---mom, I am mailing those to you :)

On Sunday night when we got home we had a horrible storm---lots of hail, lots of wind, lots of lightning, and lots of praying :) Broderick flipped out!!! He was scared to death. There was some rotation in the clouds and John (being the meteorologist/climatologist that he is) knew that we were close to having a tornado. At one point as John and I are trying to explain to Broderick that we will be fine and that we have a basement to go down to, he told us to "be quiet" so he could pray. I have never seen him so scared. It brought tears to my eyes as I listened to him plead to God to not let the tornado hit our house.

I was also supposed to get all four of my wisdom teeth pulled on Tuesday of this week, but Adalynn woke up running a fever. I wasn't sad to have to call and cancel it. Believe me!!! Especially since John was not going to be able to stay at home with me and help after the surgery. I have rescheduled it for May when John can be home. Yes, I know....and my dentist already let me know....this would have been a lot easier when I was 17. Too bad no one told me this earlier. Please let me know what your experience was like...I really want to be prepared!

Camden had kindergarten registration this week as well. I can not believe my baby boy is going to be in kindergarten. He was nervous, but warmed up quickly and did great with the registration process. He only missed the letter V and the number 9. Other than that, he did awesome. Now, we just have to wait and see if he gets AM or PM kindergarten.

The boys also had their first soccer practices/games today. I will post pictures of that sometime soon. We got some great shots.

Thanks for checking on us!


  1. So glad you had a great time in Vegas! Getting to do what you what, when you want and at your own pace does sound quite wonderful!

  2. Ahhhh...those Vegas pics are GREAT! Brian and I went before Ellie was born...I was pregnant, but not uncomfortable pregnant, and we had so much fun! We stayed at Mandalay Bay resort which is WAYYYYYY down on the far side...so I feel for you with your blister and sore feet....I was there, too! Your pics brought back memories for me. Love that hotel room you had...beautiful! So glad you got away and were able to just enjoy your time! Glad you are safe and sound....and hugs to the kiddos for me!

  3. Glad you had a great time in Vegas. I live about 1 1/2 hours from there. Even living so close it's always fun to go there. Can you believe our babies are almost 2? Crazy.